When you are cutting pieces for your robot it is very important to know how to work the machine and in a case of an emergency know how to keep you and others safe. Before being able to work on the robot, each team member must pass a safety test based on the items below. Here are a list of videos that explain how to use machinery that is commonly used by robotics teams and our safety rules.
Test Your Knowledge!
Test your knowledge of the safety skills by taking this test:
COMMON SAFETY RULES:
- Never work alone – and a Supervisor or Monitor must be present at all times.
- Safety glasses must be worn at all times in the shop. Some operations and equipment may require additional personal protective equipment.
- No loose clothing may be worn in the shop, including ties, scarves, and loose sleeves. Open- toed shoes, short pants, or skirts are also prohibited.
- Remove jewelry before beginning work, including rings, necklaces, bracelets, and watches. Long hair must be pulled back and secured and contained; long beards must also be contained.
- Aisles, exits, and access to emergency equipment must be kept clear at all times.
- Approval to operate power equipment must be obtained prior to use. You must check in with Monitor/Supervisor upon arrival and prior to use.
- Food and Drink are prohibited.
- All guards and shields must be secured and in place prior to operating equipment.
- Always unplug or disconnect from power all power tools before changing blades, bits, or attachments.
- Do not use damaged equipment, or equipment that does not appear to be operating normally. Tag it as out of service and report the issue to the Supervisor or Monitor.
- Immediately report all problems or concerns to the Supervisor or Monitor.
- Supervisors and Monitors have full authority over the shop and its safe use, including the responsibility, authority, and obligation to prohibit shop or tool access for the safety of an individual, others in the shop, or the equipment.